Practicing Harm Reduction

push harm reductionSome people have a misconception of what harm reduction really implies- you see, folks who are systematically practicing harm reduction in regards to drugs or alcohol are not necessarily addicts, nor do they always display addict-like behaviors. Practicing harm reduction requires being better disciplined and higher functioning individuals then your every day addict- they often successfully manage their DOC (drug of choice). They usually hold down jobs and have families, and have learned to follow a template that works, without wreaking havoc on their families, employers, and society as do addicts as we know them.  I  do not advocate pro or con on this issue, but I can say that harm reduction saves lives.

drunkIf an alcoholic usually binges for 5 days at a time, and now he binged for only 3 days, is this harm reduction? NO! If a alcoholic who usually binges for 5 days, plans a drinking schedule to restrict his drinking to only 1 day in every 5 days, marks it down on the calendar and adheres to it, THIS is harm reduction. And I would venture to say if this man can successfully maintain, then he can no longer be considered an alcoholic.

It is little publicized that when it comes to heroin, only 23% of those who use itchipper become addicted. If you feel you are a part of the 23% then perhaps you are not a good candidate for practicing harm reduction, because as I said, it requires the non-addict behaviors of  planning and preparation and thought before action. It’s important you know where you lie in the percentiles and be honest with yourself.  The 23% may have no choice but to go the route of absolutely NO heroin. For the other 77%, until you can stop using altogether,  read Over The Influence and The Little Book, and then follow these tips;

  • Never use alone- have some one nearby who can save your life, if necessary
  • Use a low dose- The best way to prevent heroin addiction is to keep your dose low, never increase the dose, and to back off from heroin completely if you find your usual dose is not effective.
  • Choose smoking or snorting over injection- is not quite as instant in effect as smoking or injecting, but it will still take effect very quickly with much lower risk. While all methods of heroin use carry the risk of overdose, it is less likely with smoking because you can stop once you feel high, whereas with injecting, once the drug is in your body, you can’t do anything to reduce the effects or overdose risk
  • Use clean needles- if you must inject, plan ahead and go to the clean needle exchange
  • Never use heroin two days in a row, and never use more to treat heroin withdrawal symptoms.
  • Be an acquirer- never purchase directly for a heroin dealer- get it from a friend who uses, like you. It may be more expensive but it is safer in terms of being arrested.

I do not advocate heroin use- I feel the ultimate harm reduction is not using at all. This is what I suggest to anyone out there fighting addiction and trying to abstain from heroin;

  • Radionics– both Sai Sanjeevin and Paper Doctor have patterns for addiction. You can print these patterns right off the internet for free, and use them.
  • Take the Bach flower remedy called Agrimony– the classic remedy given to addicts.
  • Dowse, or have someone dowse for you, to find the most beneficial homeopathic remedy to assist you in addiction, or seek the advise of a professional homeopath who uses conventional intake and rubrics to prescribe.
  • Find your healing note and color (again by dowsing), or find it through astrologically. After you determine them you can write them down and put the paper in your pocket or in your pillowcase, or with color, try wearing the color or placing flowers of the color in your room.
  • Balance your chakras- this can be done by placing a witness on Ruggerio’s radionic circuit #19 called cosmo-biological reactivation, for rejuvination, vitality and healing.  Or, you can use a pendulum and a chakra dowsing chart.
  • Call your sponsor– use your tools and call your sponsor before you have the slip, not after, genius.
  • Give of yourself– I can’t stress enough how important this is. Focusing on the needs of others is one of the best ways to get off the pity train.pity train

 

Comments Off on Practicing Harm Reduction

Comments are closed.